Saturday, July 23, 2011

I'm not a bum!

Some weeks ago, Dallas City Councilwoman Angela Hunt took some criticism for tweeting about the bums hanging around the Main Street Garden. She felt their presence was menacing to visitors and families who might want to enjoy the downtown area.

Julian Arredondo, whose photo she used, was indignant. "I'm not a bum," the 72-year-old man said. "I don't steal from nobody. I don't bother nobody."

So if he's not a bum, just who is Julian Arredondo? He sleeps each night at the Bridge homeless shelter. He has a felony conviction. He served two years in prison for assault with a deadly weapon. He stabbed his victim with a pocketknife. Just the kind of person I'd like to introduce my kids to! And he's not a bum!

"Homeless man upset at Hunt's 'bum' rap." The Dallas Morning News; July 9, 2011; p. 2B.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you posted this one. It burned me up that they pounced on her for calling the situation like it was. You would think they would have THANKED her for trying to do something! Even the homeless shelter AGREED with her!