Thursday, August 18, 2011

Is there some reason they don't learn?

There's a touchy-feely feel good article in the newspaper about Dwell with Dignity. Dwell with Dignity is a non-profit group of designers who rent apartments and fit them out for homeless families. The article featured one such family.

As I read, I thought to myself, this old girl probably deserves a chance. But the more I read, the less optimistic I became.

Juanita Mitchell, 28, and her 9 year-old daughter Ambriya are pictured moving into the apartment. Reading into the article, I found that, when she was 15, Juanita had her first child who was raised by the child's paternal grandmother. So Ambriya is evidence that Juanita didn't learn her lesson the first time around. Reading further, I found that Juanita has a son, Bol, who is 7 years old. So Juanita didn't learn her lesson the second time around, either.

To add to her lack of moral discipline, Juanita, the newspaper states, "has no financial discipline." Mitchell also seems to lack a grasp of reality. She's been living in a homeless shelter, and when Dwell with Dignity informed her they had an apartment for her and that she would be tickled with it, she said she thought to herself, "How tickled can I be about an apartment?" I don't know, but I just think that if I had no place to live, and someone offered me an apartment, I'd be tickled.

Juanita, Ambriya, and Bol moved into their spic and span apartment July 21. I'd like to see a photo of what it looks like on August 21.

"Designed to Dwell." The Dallas Morning News; August 15, 2011; p. 9A.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Me too Essie, I'll just bet I could accurately describe it and it's not pretty!