Monday, February 18, 2013

Al "Bigfoot" Gore
 
Al Gore boasts that he "walks the walk" when it comes to green energy. "But I walk the walk. I have solar panels all over my house; I even have a solar-paneled little houseboat for recreation. . .I do understand the challenges of making this transition to a decarbonized world, and renewable energy is a difficult one, but I am doing my part."
 
Are you really, Al? Did you know that the manufacturing process for solar panels creates millions of pounds of polluted sludge and contaminated water? To dispose of this material, companies have to ship it by truck or rail to waste facilities hundreds or even thousands of miles. But government scientists cheat. They don't count the fossil fuels needed to transport this gunk in calculating the carbon footprint of the solar panels. Experts say this omission gives consumers and scientists a false measure, leading them to believe solar power is cleaner than it really is.
 
So, Al, maybe you really don't understand the challenges of decarbonizing the world. I'd say when you factor in your private jets and the sale of your tv station to Al-Jazeera, you're leaving a Bigfoot size carbon footprint in that walk of yours. Hypocrite!
 
 
"The dirty side of sun power." The Dallas Morning News; February 11, 2013; p. 8D.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good one Essie!