Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Please, Senor, let me pluck your chickens!!
 
Jose Hernandez-Medina of Southlake wrote an unintentionally funny letter to the newspaper. Jose takes issue with those who say that illegal aliens are breaking our laws. He asks, "When have you seen a mugger, thief or purse snatcher whose main purpose is to build your roads, pluck your chickens, build your homes and care for your young and elderly?"
 
When I read that my imagination took over. I saw a little two room, dirt floor house somewhere deep in Mexico. I saw Mamacita bent over a little fire in the front yard making tortillas. Pedro kneels beside her. "Mamacita," he says, "Pedro have grande dream. Mi Dios say go to America where I become best chicken plucker in the world. He say plucking chickens why he put me here, so, Mamacita, I go swim rio and find Senor with muchos chickens for me to pluck." Mamacita say, "Si! Si! Pedro! You pluck chickens make me muy proud. Send me muchos pesos!"
 
I wonder if that's how Jose Hernandez-Medina came to be here?
 
"Illegal entry same as mugging?" The Dallas Morning News; February 11, 2013; p. 10A.

No comments: