Friday, August 2, 2013

Am I denying you your religious freedom, or is it vice versa?

John Knutson of Dallas says that if the Catholic church refuses to pay for contraceptives for its employees on the basis of Catholic doctrine, it is guilty of denying those employees their religious freedom.
 
John is full of baloney. Let's look at it this way. Let's say I don't drink on religious grounds. I invite John out to dinner. I tell John that I'll be happy to pay for any non-alcoholic beverage, but I won't buy him an alcoholic one. If he would like a mixed drink of some sort or a beer or a shot of whisky, he certainly won't offend me if he buys one himself. John then turns to me and says, "If you don't buy me a beer, you are denying me my religious freedom!"
 
No, John, I am not denying you the freedom to drink whatever you want. But if you force me to buy you a beer, you are denying me my religious freedom! Think about it!
 
"Not all employees are Catholic." The Dallas Morning News; June 23, 2012; p. 18A.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent point Essie!