Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Habla espanol?

I exercised my voting privilege yesterday, and I witnessed an interesting scene in the adjacent booth. A lady sat with her ballot, and a man leaned over her shoulder. It was obvious that he was reading the ballot to her in Spanish. I heard him reading down the slate of sheriff's candidates, then she said in English, "I don't understand." He then rattled off something in Spanish -- though I don't understand Spanish, it was obviously more than just reading the ballot to her.


My number one complaint is that I felt like I was in Mexico City, not the U.S.A. My number two complaint is that if a voter is not intelligent enough to fill in a circle next to the preferred candidate's name, he probably shouldn't be a voter.

My number three complaint deals with the questions I was asked in the voting process. There were two tables in the polling place -- one with two large signs saying "Republican Primary," and one with two large signs saying "Democratic Primary." I walked to the Republican table and presented my voter registration card. The election official said, "Do you wish to vote Republican?" Now, I could have been ugly and said, "No, I want to vote Democratic, so that's why I came to the table with the Republican label." But I politely said, "Yes." Then she said, "You know there are no sheriff candidates on this ballot?" (Our county had no Republicans running). I said, "Yes, I am an informed voter." Then she said, "You'd be surprised how many names we've had to erase today, because they wanted to vote for sheriff." Again, if a voter is not informed enough to know what the primary system is about, he probably shouldn't be a voter.

There were a couple of propositions on the Republican ballot. One dealt with increasing enforcement of immigration laws by better securing our borders. I voted "Si."


And we wonder why our country is in the mess it's in! And it could get worse -- my fear is that we are about to jump from the frying pan into the Obama or Clinton fire!

No comments: