Sunday, March 9, 2008

I speak ministerially . . .

Margaret Seltzer wrote a critically acclaimed memoir titled Love and Consequences that told of her life as a foster child and drug runner for the gangs of Los Angeles. Unfortunately for Ms. Seltzer, her sister told on her. She led a privileged childhood living with both her biological parents -- even attended a private school. Riverside Books, the publisher, evidently didn't bother to check up on her story.

That's OK. I know preachers who do basically the same thing all the time. They call it "ministerially speaking." One particular pastor I know copies most of his sermons from the internet. If the author of the sermon he copies says in the sermon, "I was discussing with my wife, Janet, the problems of drug abuse the other day," then lo, and behold, this pastor was " . . . discussing with my wife, Rhonda, the problems of drug abuse the other day." If the author says, "I attended such and such conference last year," then this pastor says, "I attended such and such conference last year."

When the congregation complains about his almost constant "ministerial speaking," he blithely says, "I don't credit everything I write," as if that is a valid defense. That may work here, but when/if he reaches heaven, I don't think God will accept ministerial speaking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

RIGHT ON !!!!!! I THINK I PROBABLY KNOW THE PREACHER YOU ARE SPEAKING OF!!!!