Thursday, August 27, 2009

Coming soon to your neighborhood!

Don't you long for the days when schools were named for heroes? George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Edison, Abraham Lincoln, Sam Houston, Jim Bowie, Mirabeau Lamar, William B. Travis, Davy Crockett, Robert E. Lee -- the list goes on and on.

In Dallas, DISD trustee Ron Price wants to change the names of two schools -- one to Barack Obama and the other to Sonia Sotomayor. The library in the Obama one would be named the Michelle Obama Library. He says, "I want my kids in my district to be able to go to a school named after somebody they actually know something about." From my observations, I have to agree with him on one point -- most of the kids today know nothing about George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Edison, Abraham Lincoln, Sam Houston, Jim Bowie, Mirabeau Lamar, William B. Travis, Davy Crockett, Robert E. Lee --

"Schools may be named for Obama, justice." The Dallas Morning News; August 7, 2009; p. 4B.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if there was ever an argument for privatization of our schools its that kids don't know about george washington and thomas jefferson. I find it odd that they know more about Obama and His wife b/c i'm an adult and i know nothing about them. This reminds me of someone suggesting Michael Jackson have his own holiday.