Saturday, August 15, 2009

It's time for an Essie.

Well, it's time to award an Essie, the award given on the basis of sheer stupidity. The Essie this time goes to an unnamed 17-year-old boy. He and one of his buddies jumped an 8-foot fence and turned on a large oil-field pump -- the kind you see in the fields going up and down -- so he could ride it. I guess he thought it was mechanical bull. At any rate, he became entangled in the moving parts, and they had to amputate his arm to free him.

His mother asked that his name not be released. I don't blame her.

On a side note, people are already blaming the oil company for lax safety. I think I'd have a bit of a clue I was supposed to stay out if I encountered a locked, 8-foot fence. Just one more reason this kid gets the uncoveted Essie!

"Teen loses arm after he's tangled in pump." The Dallas Morning News; February 10, 2009; p. 3A.

No comments: