Monday, October 5, 2009

Is it really?

David Overton, Ian Hunter, and Gwen Lummus of the First Unitarian Church of Dallas say that "health care is a human right." Is it really? If I can afford health insurance, but I decide to spend my money on other things I want, and I get sick, should you have to pay my medical bills? I don't think so. I don't think I have a "right" to medical care under those circumstances.

David, Ian, and Gwen cite the Bible as giving a clear call to care for the poor and sick. I can agree with them there. What the Bible doesn't call for is for the government to take the money I've saved as a good steward and give it to someone else who is not a good steward. David, Ian, and Gwen say that "as the most advanced nation on earth, we have a right -- a human right -- to a better health care system." As the most advanced nation on earth, we already have the best system in the world. People come here for treatment from the countries with "universal coverage." But what kind of logic can you expect from people who go to a church that believes that everybody goes to heaven by whatever way they think they'll get there.

"The right to health care." The Dallas Morning News; September 6, 2009; p. 3P.

No comments: