Monday, October 19, 2009

School ain't what it used to be!

Back in the spring when the Texas legislature was in session (always a scary thing!), Representative Joe Deshotel came up with a ridiculous bill. It would have payed freshmen in low-performing schools $50 for each A earned in a core subject, $35 for each B, and $20 for each C.

Wow! Far from being rewarded for C's, I was told I had to buckle down (come to think of it, that's an exaggeration -- I never got a C). Anyway, if I had, my parents would not have been pleased. What's the world coming to when we have to pay kids to do well in school? And how long before the teacher kick-back scandals get uncovered -- you know -- where the kid says I'll give you $25 if you'll give me an A? That may sound ridiculous, but we already have teachers changing test answers, so it's not that far-fetched. Thankfully, we have some legislators with more sense than Deshotel has, and the HB-3449 just sat there. I give Representative Deshotel an F.

Incidentally, The Dallas Morning News gets a D -- they referred to Deshotel as a Republican. Essie thought that was a strange bill for a Republican to introduce, so when she did a little more research, she found out that Deshotel is a Democrat.

"Bill would pay kids for good grades." The Dallas Morning News; March 14, 2009; p. 6A.

No comments: