Sunday, May 1, 2011

I don't think Jesus had fun.

There is a neighborhood in Dallas that puts on a parade each Easter. When I think of an Easter parade, I think of Easter bonnets, pretty spring colors, flowers, and a celebration of the Resurrection. That's not what this sacrilegious travesty is.

The demented people who put on this parade dress up like cockroaches, sit on toilets on their floats, and do all sorts of other demeaning things. I'm not sure what message they're trying to get across, but it's certainly not a message of rebirth.

As might be expected, some people have protested the trivialization of the most holy day in the Christian calendar. Kay L. Caughron says we should lighten up and have some fun -- that this event is a bonding experience for the neighbors, and we should join them. "It'll be fun for you!" she says. When I read that, I couldn't help but think of the Roman soldiers who gambled for Jesus' robe at the foot of the cross. I guess that was a bonding experience for them, too. And I bet they had some fun doing it. Whether or not what they did was right is another matter entirely.

"Lighten up." The Dallas Morning News; April 28, 2011; p. 14A.

No comments: