Saturday, May 14, 2011

I'll have one of those $300 onions.

Everette Robertson of Dallas thinks a progressive income tax is fair . . . the kind of tax where if you sit on your tail and do nothing, you get a great big tax refund check; if you make below a certain amount, you pay 0%: if you make w to x you pay 15%; if you make x to y, you pay 25%; and if you make y to z, you pay 35% or more. In fact, Everette says, this doctrine should be applied to everything. If you make $24,000, $24 for a drivers license is fair. But that's not fair if you make a billion dollars. If you make a billion, you should have to pay a million for a drivers license.

Can't you just see the chaos at Wal-Mart? If I make $25,000, that onion will cost me 50 cents. If I make $50,000, it will cost me $2. If I make $100,000, it will cost me $7. If I make $500,000, if will cost me $40. On the other hand, if I get food stamps, they'll pay me $45 to take one. Yep, don't see what could be more fair than that.

Obviously, somebody somewhere is getting short-changed on education.

"Figure fairness into everything." The Dallas Morning News; April 24, 2011; p. 3P.

No comments: