Thursday, May 19, 2011

We sure don't want to be archaic!

The North Texas Fair Housing Center recently did some testing of various apartment complexes and rental properties in Dallas. They sent white couples and black couples to the same places. They said that several of the places discriminated against the black couples.

Gerry Henigsman is executive vice president of the Apartment Association of Greater Dallas. He said the findings surprised him. "I would hope that you don't have people out there saying,'OK, I'm still going to make my own decisions as to who I want to live here and who I don't.' That's archaic," he said.

Well, we certainly don't want to be archaic, do we? I'd much rather have the government telling me what I can and cannot do with my own property than to be able to "make my own decisions as to who I want to live here and who I don't."

"Report says miniorities get higher rent quotes." The Dallas Morning News; April 22, 2011; p. 1B.

No comments: