Sunday, May 22, 2011

Redistribution Run Amok

Developer Philip Williams wants to conserve some farmland he owns. And he wants his neighbors to pay for it. A bill in the Texas House would require homeowners in the Montgomery Farm development in Allen to pay 1% of the sale price of their homes toward the maintenance of the conservation area.

Williams says it's local money going to take care of local areas. I say it's private money going into his pocket. He says, "These people pay in order to have this behind their houses." If they want it, they can pay without being taxed for it. Maybe some of them really don't care what's behind their homes.

And what would this tax pay for? Well, part of it would go to a tree farm business Williams plans to run. Rep. Ken Paxton of McKinney is for the tax. He says that Williams doesn't have a way to fund the area. Tough luck! I'd like to do a lot of landscaping around my house, and I'm sure my neighbors would appreciate the nice view, but I've not asked them to pay for it.

Jo Long lives in the area. She says she'd rather see Williams solicit donations than be taxed. "I hate for anything to be compulsory. At least it's a good cause." Yes, Jo, but what if the next tax they want to impose is not for a good cause? They've set the precedent with this one, and I can assure you that other developers will take note.

"Developer: Green isn't free." The Dallas Morning News; April 4, 2011; p. 1B.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've got that right! It will just open the flood gates.