Sunday, July 6, 2014

ما هو جيد لإوزة هو جيد لذكر الإوز.

Mariam Saleh lives in Doha, Qatar. She is leading a campaign to make foreign women residing in that country "cover up." She says a steady influx of foreigners is threatening to uproot their customs and traditions.
 
How many times have we seen muslim women in the U.S. refuse to uncover their faces according to our customs and traditions and even our laws? I can't cover my face or wear a head covering when I have my driver's license photo made or when I go through airport security, but they can.
 
The title of this blog is in Arabic just for Mariam. I'm not sure if the translation is correct or not, but we would say, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander."
 
"A modest request." The Dallas Morning News; June 15, 2014; p. 19A.

No comments: