Monday, August 18, 2008

I don't think they have a clue!

I guess the older I get, the more I resist change; however, I was never one to embrace change just for the sake of change. I've heard people many times say, "Change is good." That's one of those statements that sounds deep and well-thought out, but analyze it and you see it's not true. For example, suppose a tornado hits your block and completely changes the landscape. That's change, but I wouldn't call it good. Suppose your boss says, "We're making some changes around here. Your job will be eliminated." That's change, and it may be good for the boss, but it's not good for you. Remember when Coca-Cola changed their formula? They quickly learned that change is not always good.

Now another classic is being changed. Miss Scarlet is no longer Miss Scarlet. She is Kasandra Scarlet, a famous tabloid-fodder actress. Mr. Green is now Jacob Green, an African-American "with all the ins." Colonel Mustard? He's become Jack Mustard, football star. Professor Plum has left his noble profession to become a video game designer.

Yes, my friends, Hasbro is changing the classic Clue game. No more lead pipe, revolver, or wrench. I have one of the old games in my closet. But I can assure you, one of the new versions will never be found on that shelf. Kasandra in the spa with a dumbbell just isn't the same as Mrs. Peacock in the conservatory with the revolver.

"Clue gets an update." The Dallas Morning News; August 16, 2008; p. 2D.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It brings to mind my husband's grandpa's philosophy. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"