Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I really thought I had heard it all until . . .

The Catholics are holding a beauty pageant . . . for nuns. That's right, the "Miss Sister 2008" online pageant will start in September and will give nuns from around the world a chance to showcase their work and their image.

The Rev. Antonio Rungi, an Italian priest, came up with the idea. "Nuns are a bit excluded. They are a bit marginalized in ecclesiastical life. This will be an occasion to make their contribution more visible. . . We are not going to parade nuns in bathing suits . . .External beauty is a gift from God, and we mustn't hide it."

The National Association of Catholic Teachers doesn't like the idea. The group says that it "belittles the role of nuns who have dedicated themselves to God."

I agree. We used to have a Catholic hospital here, and I can remember the days when the nuns wore full habits. The few times I was hospitalized, they were a great comfort, and I just can't picture any of them parading around with sashes and tiaras. While I certainly believe they should be recognized for their works, I don't believe what they look like has one iota's bearing on their work for God. And I'll just bet that most of them are a bit embarrassed by Rungi's brainstorm!

"Priest calling nuns to new mission: pageantry." The Dallas Morning News; August 25, 2008; p. 6A.

No comments: