Saturday, August 30, 2008

You're not pretty enough to work here.

I read the most ridiculous thing I think I have ever heard in the paper this past week. Abercrombie and Fitch discriminates by looks. And we're not talking sloppiness, multiple tattoos and/or piercings, or poor hygiene -- we're talking prettiness. Employees are scored 0-5 on prettiness, and their scores are posted on the office wall. If you're not pretty enough, you get sent to work the backroom and cannot work the higher paying job on the sales floor. (They call their sales people "models").

Kristen Carmichael found out she didn't have the store's "sexy, effortless style" when she was pulled from a sales position at the NorthPark Center store in Dallas and moved to the stockroom. One of the questions on the report that got her pulled was, "Do all female models currently working have beautiful faces?" Kristen says, "I don't think I'm the most attractive person in the world, but I don't think I'm so hideous you have to shove me into a back room."

The ugly people (stockroom employees) are not allowed to speak to customers. Joshuah Welch, a 26-year-old recently hired as a manager, says, "It's a hierarchy of hotness." Wonder how long he'll be manager after the higher-ups read the newspaper? Kind of proves the point that they couldn't care less whether or not you have a brain as long as you look good.

"Workers: From the looks of it, beauty is key to job success." The Dallas Morning News; August 27, 2008; p. 1A.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard! I guess I'd be stocking in the back!!!

Anonymous said...

That's insane! I bet if I went to put in an application, I wouldn't even be stock room material! haha! lol, with their standards I bet they'd have me hidding in the dark corners with a mask!

Essie May said...

You know, I thought about it, and if I'm not pretty enough to work there, I'm certainly not pretty enough to buy their crap!

Anonymous said...

I don't think they are the only company guilty of that. 20/20 did a program one time and they hired unattractive and very attractive people to do a survey for them and apply for the same jobs or do other things and it was definitely in favor of the more attractive person. Of course most of them aren't going to admit that looks has anything to do with who they hire. I would choose the one I thought would work their butt off!

Anonymous said...

Move over stockroom people I will be joining you in the stockroom!

Anonymous said...

WELL I'M WRITING ABOUT A WHOLE OTHER TOPIC.
ANSON JONES ELEMENTARY SCHOOL IN DALLAS TEXAS,75211 972-734-4700
TEACHES SPANISH ONLY PRE=K CLASSES...SOME OF US DON'T SPEAK SPANISH. I AM MEXICAN AMERICAN... I LOVE MY PEOPLE DON'T GET ME WRONG, BUT WE ARE IN AMERICA.. USA.. HELLO ENGLISH PLEASE. WHY WOULD YOU JUST TEACH SPANISH? THEY ARE DISCRIMINATING AGAINST NON SPANISH SPEAKING MEXIICANS. AND THEN THEY SEND ALL THE PAPERWORK HOME IN SPANISH KNOWING THAT WE SPEAK ENGLISH ONLY..GO FIGURE.