Sunday, August 10, 2008

I hope Gabriela leaves me her gall

Maria Martinez applied for a job at Luby's Cafeteria located inside Trinity Medical Center in Carrollton, Texas. She used a fake Social Security card, and the hospital personnel caught the counterfeit. According to Maria's daughter, Gabriela, Mrs. Martinez was initially denied employment because of the illegal document. The hospital called the next day, however, and set up an appointment for her to come in for another interview. Of course, when she arrived, police were waiting and she was arrested. She is being held for tampering with government records and for immigration authorities. If convicted of the tampering charge, she faces two to twenty years in prison.

Gabriela says, "A hospital, from my point of view, needs to have morals before anything else. It's the first time I hear that a hospital helps deport a person."

Well, Gabriela, maybe you ought to speak to your mother about morals before you start judging the hospital. I don't think either you or your mother, who forged documents and entered this country illegally, has any room to complain just because she got caught. In fact, I think it's pretty darn nervy of you. As my mama used to say, would you leave me your gall when you die?

"Job applicant facing deportation." The Dallas Morning News; August 8, 2008; p. 7B.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You get a blue ribbon for this one!!!

Anonymous said...

It's amazing, isn't it?!