Friday, July 24, 2009

Dallas man files for divorce.

The Dallas Morning News reported that a Dallas man filed for divorce. So what? Happens all the time. But this time, he filed for divorce from another man. The two men "married" in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 2006 then moved to Dallas. If I were the judge in this case (and I wish I were), I'd say, "Too bad, so sad, you can't get a divorce when we don't even acknowledge your so-called 'marriage.'"

The plaintiff in this case has asked not to be identified, because "My company has an extremely low tolerance for publicity." If I were the judge in this case (and I wish I were), I'd say, "Too bad, so sad, you should have thought about that before you went so public with your perversion."

The plaintiff's lawyer says, "They want to get divorced just like a straight couple." If I were the judge in this case (and I wish I were), I'd say, "Too bad, so sad, you can't marry here just like a straight couple so you can't divorce just like a straight couple."

The plaintiff says, "I believe all people should have the same rights to do what they want to with their private lives." If I were the judge in this case (and I wish I were), I'd say, "Too bad, so sad, but you can do in your private life what everyone else does. What you want is something outside the law, and nobody gets that."

Now, here comes the good part. This little demonstration may end up costing gays in Texas. If the Texas Supreme Court gets the case, they may interpret the current law to the detriment of gays and lesbians in areas such as employment benefits. Too bad, so sad -- NOT!

"Case puts same-sex divorce at state door." The Dallas Morning News; January 23, 2009; p. 1A.

No comments: