Friday, October 1, 2010

Essie picks some nits.

I guess I'm nitpicking here, but I saw this in the newspaper the other day and the contradiction really struck me.

The Reverend Ritch Johnson preaches at a cowboy church. He invites everyone to come. He says, "It's led by the purpose of a nonjudgmental gospel . . ." Then he says in his next sentence, "But with that tactic, we're seeing a lot of lives changed."

Why would you want to change someone's life if you don't see anything wrong with the way they're living now? The gospel I grew up with, the one in the Bible, has "repentance" as one of the main tenets. How can you be non-judgmental about repentance? If I tell you I see nothing wrong with your life because I'm not going to judge, how can I then tell you that God said you need to repent? Haven't I judged if I do so?

And that's what's wrong with the world now -- we have to be "tolerant" and "non-judgmental" when God said, "All have sinned." We have to say, "You're fine just like you are," when God said, "Except ye repent, ye shall all perish." We have to say, "One religion is as good as another as long as you're sincere," when Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man cometh unto the Father but by me."

And that's the Rev. Essie's sermon for today.

"Heavenly home on the range?" The Dallas Morning News; August 21, 2010; p. 7B.

No comments: