Saturday, October 30, 2010

How did he get in there?

Last month, yet another child, left unattended in a day care van, died in the Texas heat. The child was not discovered until the van was taken to pick up children at school in the afternoon, and a 3-year-old discovered his body.

According to the newspaper, when the van returned to the day care center from its morning rounds, the driver and the monitor "failed to see the boy in the back of the van."

Well, excuse me, but I want to know why they had to "see" him. I am assuming the two-year-old didn't come catch the bus by himself and strap himself into his safety seat. They had to know he was there. What happened to counting noses? "Let's see, I picked up 14 children, and 13 got off the van. I'm missing one." What about during the day at the center? Did no one say, "Wonder where Little Johnny is today"?

It is inexcusable that this child died. If you're being paid to take care of children, that's what you should be doing. I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if driver or monitor or both weren't texting or involved in a phone conversation when they left that poor child to die in an oven.

"Boy left hours in van dies." The Dallas Morning News; September 17, 2010; p. 1A.

No comments: