Saturday, June 14, 2014

How many churches did you visit, Joyce?

Joyce King thinks racism is rampant in our society. She says not a day goes by that somebody doesn't remind her that she's black.

Joyce says she walked into a "white church" she had never visited before. She says she sat in front of a young white mother with several children. The woman was smiling. She says her whole demeanor changed "when I turned around to offer a friendly greeting. The woman did not say a word." I'm curious as to how Joyce knew the woman was smiling to begin with if she had her back to her.

I sort of doubt Joyce's anecdotal story, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she is telling the truth. I wonder how many "white churches" she had to visit before she got the desired reaction?

"On race issue, much work to do." The Dallas Morning News; June 7, 2014; p. 17A.

No comments: