Saturday, June 26, 2010

Get a Life!

Our church once had a youth minister who was always saying, "Get a life!" in a very condescending manner. I got really tired of hearing it. But when I read this story in the newspaper, it was the first phrase that came to my mind.

Shamica Neal is upset with Blanton Elementary School in Carrollton. The school librarian has been promoting reading at the school, and she has photographed children in various situations and posted the photos with the theme, "I'd rather be reading." Shamica's son was photographed with his head in a trash can as if he were vomiting. The photo shows none of his face, so I really don't know how anyone would know it was him unless she told them. Anyway, she says he was humiliated and emotionally damaged by the picture.

My question to Ms. Neal is this: If this photo was so humiliating and emotionally damaging to your child, why in the heck did you give it to The Dallas Morning News and allow them to publish it? GET A LIFE, Shamica!

"Mother files grievance over staged photograph of student." The Dallas Morning News; June 17, 2010, p. 1B.

No comments: