Thursday, June 24, 2010

We can do what we want to, and you can't stop us!

The Dallas Housing Authority has acquired an apartment building in Oak Cliff. They plan to house homeless people from The Bridge there. The building is across the street from an elementary school. The homeless people to be housed at this location are alcohol and drug addicts and mental cases.

Mike Faenza, president of the homeless alliance, told the Dallas City Council that these people have "a right" to be our neighbors. But I notice Mike didn't put them up in his neighborhood. Anyway, the only people who have a "right" to be my neighbors are the ones who can afford the property next to me. Faenza says there's no evidence these types of facilities have a negative impact on their neighborhoods. I have to wonder, though, along with the people who live in this area, about who is going to oversee the tenants. And who will make sure they take their medications? And what will this do to their property values? Would you buy a house next door to a facility housing drug addicts and mental cases?

Unfortunately for the homeowners in the area, it boils down to this. MaryAnn Russ, the DHA president, said they have the required zoning and her agency doesn't need anybody's permission to go ahead with the plan. Nice lady, isn't she?

"Council gets earful on apartments for homeless." The Dallas Morning News; June 10, 2010; p. 8B.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I were a wealthy person, I would buy up all the property around Ms. Russ and Mr. Faenka and offer it to the drug addicts and mentally disturbed. And hmmm...I don't think I would need any sort of permit to do that, would I??!