Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Would you risk your life for a graham cracker?

People are so greedy and stupid. Last week, a Nabisco truck filled with Honey Maid Graham Crackers turned over on I-35E in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas. Hundreds of boxes of the crackers littered to roadside. TXDOT sent in a crew to clean them up. They didn't finish before dark, so they stopped with the intention of finishing the job the next morning. The next morning, dozens of passing motorists stopped on the busy interstate and ran across the highway to fill their cars with the tasty snacks. Dora Richards boasted, "I got enough for all my grandkids and my house."

I travel I-35E quite often, and I can tell you that it's a busy, dangerous highway. That these people would risk their lives for a box of crackers that didn't belong to them in the first place tells you a lot about what a greedy society we've become. And if one of them had been hit crossing the road, I can assure you that his family would have filed a lawsuit against Nabisco for putting temptation in his way!

"Crackers and jam on I-35E." The Dallas Morning News; June 5, 2010; p. 1B.

No comments: