Monday, June 28, 2010

See -- Essie's not crazy!

Back on May 2, I wrote about the stupidity of removing the ban on homosexual men donating blood. Part of the reasoning behind removing the ban is that our screening methods are just so much better now, that's it's virtually impossible for a slip-up to occur. I said that I certainly hoped I didn't have to have any transfusions.

Well, here's a little update. Federal health regulators have fined the American Red Cross for sloppy screening of donated blood. The Red Cross has been cited a dozen times since 2003. Yet the FDA says that the U.S. blood supply "appears" to be safe. I still hope I don't have to have any transfusions!

Oh, and by the way, Essie told you so!

"Red Cross fined for sloppy screening." The Dallas Morning News; June 18, 2010; p. 10A.

No comments: