Friday, January 29, 2010

What happened to civility?

I love a good joke as much as the next person, but I guess I'm just not up on what passes as funny these days. January 10, about 70 people got together and decided it would be funny to ride the DART train with no pants on. Evidently, this is part of some nationwide fad. If you remember, January 10 was in that weekend with the coldest temperatures we'd had in 13 years.

Anyway, authorities got wind of what was going on and warned them as they stood in line that removing their pants on the train was illegal. They did it anyway. When Brian Alguire was asked why he did it, he said, "Why not? I didn't have anything better to do today." What a sad commentary! I can think of a dozen reasons why not. And if he has nothing better to do, he is surely one lost soul!

Lusinda Kureir immigrated to America from Sri Lanka 10 years ago. She happened to be on the pantless train. She didn't find it very funny. "This is a good country. Why you do without clothes?" I couldn't agree more, Lusinda!

"Riders drop pants for laughs, but not everyone was onboard with joke." The Dallas Morning News; January 11, 2010; p. 1B.

No comments: